I HEART U

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

~God is stronger




  I was reading through some of Romans yesterday and I came upon something that really jumped out at me in chapter 6. (Verses 14-19 I think?)
   "For sin shall not have dominion over you for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 
   What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
   Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteous?
   But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
   Being then made free from sin, ye have become the servants of righteousness." 

 The first part of verse 14 is what really caught my attention. "For sin shall NOT have dominion over you." Sometimes it feels like you just can't get it right. You do something wrong, get convicted, repent,...but then it happens all over again. What went wrong? It says right there sin shall not have dominion over you. 
 One aspect of the problem right there is, who are you relying on to not sin? If you, yourself are doing it, you will continually fail. We do not have the strength to overcome sin and Satan. Satan is much more powerful than us, but he is no match for God! When we determine to rely on Jesus and His power, we can and will conquer sin. God is all-powerful and all-knowing, and He wants us to conquer. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." 
 Another thing is, did you genuinely repent? If you can repent and go on doing the same thing over again, then I would question whether you do.
  Repentance is being convicted of sin you have committed and being grieved because you hurt God in doing so. But it doesn't stop there. Repentance is an action, so there needs to be an outward showing of it-confessing it, asking for forgiveness, and then turning away from it. Others will be able to see if you have truly done it because it will show in your life. You will also despise that sin because you know that it hurts God and separates you from Him. (Because God can not look on sin.)

 I actually meant to go over more of that, but I think I'll stop here. I hope this has challenged you to look closely into your life and ask God what He thinks needs changed in you.  

  

2 comments:

  1. This was a great post, Heather! Romans is really a wonderful book, I should read it again sometime soon!

    His Princess,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Heather....thank you so much for that post! That's just what I needed to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete